About the Award
In 2010, The Office of the Vice President and Chief Officer for Diversity and Equity at the University of Virginia established the John T. Casteen, III Diversity - Equity - Inclusion Leadership Award. The award honors a member of the University community who best demonstrates a dedication to leadership and the ability to create a setting in which the promotion of diversity, equity, and inclusion is paramount. The recipients are announced annually during an award luncheon. For the inception year of 2010, the award committee selected outgoing University President John T. Casteen III. Since then, a Call for Nominations selection process has been utilized.
- The nominee/recipient must be a current student, faculty, or staff member at the University of Virginia;
- The nominee/recipient must have demonstrated a deep commitment and distinct passion for diversity at the University of Virginia and community;
- The nominee/recipient must exemplify a leadership role in increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion at the University of Virginia and community;
- The nominee/recipient must have achieved a significant and quantifiable impact on diversity, equity, and inclusion at the University of Virginia and community proportionate to the duration of the nominee’s efforts.
The selection committee for the John T. Casteen, III Diversity - Equity - Inclusion Leadership Award will include seven voting members, consisting of:
- The Vice President and Chief Officer for Diversity and Equity or his designee, as chair;
- Six at-large members selected by the Vice President and Chief Officer for Diversity and Equity from the university community, including one student member;
- One ex-officio, non-voting member from the Office of the Vice President and Chief Officer for Diversity and Equity, serving as Executive Secretary.
Any current member of the University community (student, faculty, or staff) is eligible for nomination, according to the above criteria. In addition to the nomination form, the committee requires a letter describing how the nominee has exemplified the award-related criteria and two additional letters of support (one of which must be from outside the nominee's department or school).
- 2010 - John T. Casteen, III
- 2011 - Angela M. Davis
- 2012 - Bob Covert
- 2013 - Kim Forde-Mazrui
- 2014 - Hajar Ahmed and Martin Davidson
- 2015 - Ashley Blackwell and Joel Hockensmith
- 2016 - Deborah McDowell and Frank Dukes
- 2017 - Randy Canterbury and Attiya Latif
- 2018 - Derrick Alridge and Gary Nimax
- 2019 - Valerie Gregory
Nominations are due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 22, 2019. The completed nomination form and letters of support may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the attention of Gail Prince-Davis, Office for Diversity and Equity, Post Office Box 400881, Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4881. Contact the Office for Diversity and Equity with questions regarding the nomination process.